Manual Therapy and Exercise for the Hip Complex
The Hip: Under Estimated – Undertreated
A one day hands-on evidence-based course covering evaluation and management of hip pain and associated dysfunctions. These include Osteoarthritis, Tendinopathy, Post THA, and Femoro-Acetabular Impingement Syndrome
Effective manual therapy techniques are taught and enhanced with correct exercise progression utilizing closed chain and anti-gravity rationale when possible. This treatment program is appropriate for the young athlete, to the middle-aged woman with lateral hip pain, and the elderly.
The participant will acquire the skills to become a competent and effective provider of care for the conditions that affect the hip.
The work of world leaders in hip rehabilitation such as Dr. Jill Cook PhD, Dr. Allison Grimaldi PhD, Dr. Carolyn Richardson PhD, in addition to 30 years of clinical/teaching experience of Dr. Gavin Hamer, PT, DPT, FAAOMPT, Dip MT (NZ) has been brought together in an evidence based, clinically functional manner. It is presented with clarity, along with excellent support material. The participant will come away with a comprehensive system to treat this interesting and rewarding region, utilizing effective treatment rationale and exercise science.
Audience: ATs PTs PTAs
Upon completion of this course the participant will be able to:
- Perform an effective functional lower quarter assessment
- Perform a comprehensive hip evaluation
- Understand the current evidence in support of hip treatment
- Determine relevance of hip dysfunction to the patient’s concurrent symptomology
- Apply effective closed chain and anti-gravity rationale in exercise selection
- Apply exercise science that is dosed correctly and effective
- Implement an appropriate condition specific medial yoga program
COURSE SCHEDULE (1 day)
08:00 Introduction: The importance of the Hip
08:30 Functional lower extremity evaluation
09:15 Lumbar spine and SI screening
10:00 Hip evaluation and Diagnosis
10:45 Hip muscle synergy and exercise progressions
01:00 Hip manual therapy including Pre OA
02:30 Putting it all together
03:10 End of class