LEVEL 2 – Pelvic Health: Bowel Control and Abdominal-Pelvic Manual Therapy
May 18-19, 2019
DEADLINE TO REGISTER IS THE FRIDAY BEFORE 1 WEEK BEFORE LIVE COURSE DATE : MAY 11, 2019
Course Education Level: Intermediate
Target Audience: Physical Therapists (PTs), Occupational Therapists (OTs) and Physical Therapist Assistants
This Intermediate Level 2 Pelvic Health course provides Physical Therapists (PTs), Occupational Therapists (OTs) and Physical Therapist Assistants with the skills and knowledge to provide rehabilitation treatment for functional bowel disorders including abdominal pain, constipation, obstructed defecation, and fecal incontinence. This is a hybrid course consisting of independent study, online course modules, an interactive live webinar and an intensive live interactive instructional course. Review of colo-rectal anatomy and physiology and the anatomy of the pelvic floor and abdominal wall will prepare the participants for an effective learning experience. During the live course, participants will learn and practice musculoskeletal palpation and assessment of the abdominal wall, the pelvic girdle, and the coccyx. Study of the philosophy and rationale for the intervention of visceral mobilization will prepare the clinician for hands-on experience for immediate clinical application. Clinicians will develop practical knowledge and skill in the treatment of bowel control problems. Intervention skills will include behavioral strategies for bowel control, therapeutic exercise and therapeutic activity interventions, sEMG perineal biofeedback, manual therapy to the pelvic girdle, manual therapy for abdominal scar and adhesions, and visceral mobilization. Course content is evidence based and will promote the use of the most reliable tests and validated outcomes measures. Participants are required to demonstrate competency through testing in order to progress to the next level of training.
- Pelvic Health Functional Anatomy
This course is Prerequisite for Level 1-4 Pelvic Health & Wellness course. Participants must complete this free online independent study course and pass the associated quizzes in order to proceed first to the Level 1 course and next to this Level 2 courses.
- Level I – Pelvic Health: Bladder Control and Pelvic Floor Examination
Participants must complete the Pelvic Level 1 course and pass the associated quizzes in order to proceed to this Pelvic Level 2 course.
Course Objectives: Upon completion of this course:
- All participants will describe normal anatomy and function of the abdominal wall, pelvic girdle, digestive system, and rectal pelvic floor including basics of defecation
- All participants will list components of the medical investigation of colo-rectal function.
- PTs and OTs will perform examination and evaluation of the abdominal wall, pelvic girdle, and coccyx externally.
- PTs and OTs will differentiate between musculoskeletal and medical diagnoses based on the subjective and objective evaluation of a patient with bowel control problems or symptoms and abdominal pain.
- PTs and OTs will perform differential diagnosis of musculoskeletal impairments associated with bowel control problems, and/or abdominal or pelvic girdle pain or symptoms.
- PTs and OTs will develop rehabilitation goals for musculoskeletal impairments in patients with bowel control problems and symptoms and abdominal pain based on the patient interview and the physical therapist’s examination of the patient.
- All participants will develop and perform strategies for rehabilitation treatment of pelvic floor muscle impairments including for bowel control problems or symptoms and abdominal pain.
- All participants will perform manual therapy interventions including pelvic girdle joint mobilization, scar and myofascial release techniques to the abdominal muscles, and external coccyx mobilization techniques.
- All participants will describe optimal documentation and billing and coding for providing physical therapy treatment for bowel control problems or symptoms and abdominal pain.
Level 2 – Pelvic Health: Bowel Control & Abdominal-pelvic Manual Therapy
Total 21.5 hours
Independent Study Online Modules
Module 1 2.5 hours
- Bowel Control Problems Overview
- Video Physical Therapy Treatment of Bowel Disorders
- Rectocele and the posterior vaginal wall Bo Ch 3
- Neural control of sacral functions Bo Ch 4
- Anal incontinence Bo Ch 9
- Module 1 testing
Module 2 3.75 hours
- Medical evaluation and treatment of bowel control problems
- Medication management of bowel control problems
- Dietary management of bowel control problems
- Abdominal adhesions and nerve entrapments
- Video- Abdominal scar evaluation and treatment
- Module 2 testing
Module 3 3 hours
- Pelvic floor overactivity Bo Ch 9
- Theoretical basis, rationale, and techniques of abdominal massage and visceral mobilization
- Module 3 testing
Module 4 Live Course Live Course time: 10 hours
December 1, 12:00 – 6:00 pm, December 2, 8:30am – 12:30 pm
- Bowel diary analysis
- Abdominal wall lab Palpation, scar assessment, visceral mobilization, colon massage
- Pelvic girdle and coccyx lab Palpation, mobilization techniques
- Psychomotor testing
- sEMG perineal biofeedback for bowel disorders and lab
- Course Highlights Review
- Clinical reasoning and case studies for obstructed defecation, fecal incontinence, and abdominal pain
- Module 4 Testing
Module 5 2.25 hours
- Stress Response
- Physical and Occupational Therapy evaluation of bowel control problems
- Documentation and billing and coding
- Marketing and communication
- Module 5 testing
FYZICAL Pelvic Health and Wellness Certification (FPHC)
The Pelvic Health and Wellness Program at FYZICAL aims to provide FYZICAL PTs, OTs, and PTAs with education and training to offer comprehensive pelvic health rehabilitation services through a series of four (4) hybrid-format courses. Courses include a combination of independent study, online course modules, live interactive webinars, and a live course component for psychomotor (hands-on /lab) skills, and testing. Successful completion of all five courses will result in a
FYZICAL Pelvic Health and Wellness Certification. This series of courses is designed to give the practicing clinician a comprehensive knowledge and skill base in pelvic physical therapy treatment, and to lay the foundation of the standard of care for pelvic health and wellness services at FYZICAL Therapy and Balance Centers. Course content is evidence based, and will promote the use of the most reliable tests and measures, validated outcomes measures, and standard terminology. Participants are required to demonstrate competency through testing in order to progress to the next level of training.